- The definition of infection is the process of bacteria or viruses invading the body or making someone ill or diseased.
- When you catch a cold, this is an example of an infection.
- A virus is an example of an infection.
- an infecting; specif.,
- the act of causing to become diseased
- the act of affecting with one's feelings or beliefs
- the fact or state of being infected, esp. by the presence in the body of bacteria, protozoans, viruses, or other parasites
- something that results from infecting or being infected; specif.,
- a disease resulting from infection (sense )
- a feeling, belief, influence, etc. transmitted from one person to another
- anything that infects
Origin of infectionMiddle English infeccioun ; from Old French infection ; from Late Latin infectio
- a. The invasion of bodily tissue by pathogenic microorganisms that proliferate, resulting in tissue injury that can progress to disease: measures taken by the hospital to prevent infection.b. The entry or placement, as by injection, of a microorganism or infectious agent into a cell or tissue.c. An instance of being infected: developed an infection in my toe.d. An agent or a contaminated substance responsible for one's becoming infected: an infection spread by contaminated water.e. The pathological state resulting from having been infected: a drug to control infection.
- An infectious disease: Crowded conditions gave rise to several serious infections.
- An instance of a virus or similar software program infecting a computer.
- The communication of a usually undesirable idea, emotion, or attitude by contact with other people or by example.
- (pathology) The act or process of infecting.
- An uncontrolled growth of harmful microorganisms in a host.
infection - Computer Definition
A description for a computer system or a program is said to be infected if a worm or virus has copied itself into some part of the system. Usually the goal of such an infection is to propagate to other systems or programs. Infection can also cause the system or program to expose some other unwanted behavior or secretly alter data.