- The definition of sanitation is the process of maintaining cleanliness and dealing with sewage.
An example of sanitation is the city department that makes sure trash is disposed of properly.
- the science and practice of effecting healthful and hygienic conditions; study and use of hygienic measures such as drainage, ventilation, pure water supply, etc.
- drainage and disposal of sewage
Origin of sanitationsanit(ary) + -ation
- The study and application of procedures and measures designed to protect public health, as in the provision of clean water and the disposal of sewage and waste.
- The disposal of sewage and waste.
Origin of sanitationsanit(ary) + –ation.