- If you have a cute and enthusiastic laugh that always gets other people to laugh along with you, this is an example of a time when you would be said to have an infectious laugh.
- The swine flu is an example of an infectious disease.
The definition of infectious is something that is likely to spread in a rapid manner, such as a contagious disease that spreads easily from person to person.
- likely to cause infection
- designating a disease that can be communicated by infection (sense )
- tending to spread or to affect others; catching: an infectious laugh
- Obs. infected with disease
- Capable of causing infection: an infectious microorganism.
- Capable of being transmitted by infection: an infectious disease.
- Capable of transmitting a disease; contagious: Is the patient still infectious?
- Spreading or tending to spread from one to another: an infectious laugh.
(comparative more infectious, superlative most infectious)
- (pathology, of an illness) Transmitted from one person to another, usually through the air breathed.
- Cancer is not infectious.
- More infectious diseases like the flu are usually less potent.
- (pathology, of a person) Able to infect others.
- Despite feeling better, the patient is still infectious.
- (of feelings and behaviour) Spreading quickly from one person to another.
- Her enthusiasm for work can be really infectious.
- (informal) Memorable and invoking excitement or interest.
- Pop music is more infectious than elevator music.