- The definition of contagious is something that is spread, or that can be spread between people or animals.
- An example of contagious is an illness that can spread by touching someone's hand and coming into contact with his germs.
- An example of contagious is a negative attitude which is likely to spread through a group of people and poison the group as a whole.
- spread by direct or indirect contact; communicable: said of diseases
- carrying, or liable to transmit, the causative agent of a contagious disease
- for the care of contagious patients
- spreading or tending to spread from person to person: contagious laughter
Origin of contagiousOld French contagieus ; from Late Latin contagiosus
- Of or relating to contagion.
- Transmissible by direct or indirect contact; communicable: a contagious disease.
- Capable of transmitting a disease: stayed at home until he was no longer contagious.
- Spreading or tending to spread from one to another; infectious: a contagious smile.
(comparative more contagious, superlative most contagious)
- Of a disease, easily transmitted to others.
- The flu was so contagious that everybody in town got sick!
- Of a fashion, laughter, etc., easily passed on to others.
- Wearing jeans was a contagious fad at that time.
- Of a person, having a disease that can be transmitted to another person by touch.
- They were highly contagious, spreading bacteria to other people.