- The definition of septic is something that results from or causes decay, or absorption of something that produces disease.
An example of septic is a cesspit toilet.An example of septic is a type of tank that contains the sewage from a household; a septic tank.
Origin of septicClassical Latin septicus ; from Classical Greek sēptikos ; from sēpein, to make putrid: see sepia
- Of, relating to, having the nature of, or affected by sepsis.
- Causing sepsis; putrefactive.
Origin of septicLatin sēpticus, putrefying, from Greek sēptikos, from sēptos, rotten, from sēpein, to make rotten.
(comparative more septic, superlative most septic)
From Ancient Greek ÏƒÎ·Ï€Ï„Î¹ÎºÏŒÏ‚ (sÄ“ptikos, “characterized by putridity"), from ÏƒÎ·Ï€Ï„ÏŒÏ‚ (sÄ“ptos), from ÏƒÎ®Ï€ÎµÎ¹Î½ (sÄ“pein).
- (mathematics) A mathematical object (function, curve, surface, etc.) of degree seven.
- (mathematics) Of the seventh degree or order.
From Latin septem (“seven").
Short form of Cockney rhyming slang septic tank (“Yank").
- (UK, Australia, New Zealand, Cockney rhyming slang) Alternative form of septic; an American.