- preventing infection, decay, etc. by inhibiting the action of microorganisms
- using antiseptics
- free from infection or infectious agents; sterile
- very clean or tidy
- untouched by life, its problems, emotions, etc.: an antiseptic mind
- The definition of antiseptic is something that is germ free, something that is very clean or something that eliminates germs.
- An example of something that is antiseptic are doctors tools.
- An example of an antiseptic substance is hand sanitizer.
- Antiseptic is defined as a substance used to eliminate germs.
An example of an antiseptic is hydrogen peroxide.
any substance that inhibits the action of microorganisms
- a. Capable of preventing infection by inhibiting the growth of infectious agents.b. Devoid of infectious agents; aseptic.c. Of or associated with the use of antiseptics.
- a. Devoid of enlivening or enriching qualities: “This is … not at all lighthearted or amiable music. In fact, the tone is unremittingly sober and antiseptic” ( Donal Henahan )b. Free of disturbing or unpleasant features; sanitized: an antiseptic version of history.
A substance that prevents infection by inhibiting the growth of infectious agents.
(comparative more antiseptic, superlative most antiseptic)
anti- + septic
- The antiseptic pine-laced air from the hallway made her nose wrinkle.
- Its principal action is as an antiseptic and disinfectant.
- It is, however, a useful superficial caustic and antiseptic. All copper compounds are poisonous, but not so harmful as the copper arsenical pigments.
- Salicylic acid and salicin (q.v.) share the properties common to the group of aromatic acids, which, as a group, are antiseptic without being toxic to man - a property practically unique; are unstable in the body; are antipyretic and analgesic; and diminish the excretion of urea by the kidneys.
- In order to prevent decomposition of any proteid impurity which may remain incorporated with the rubber, the freshly coagulated rubber is sometimes cured in the smoke of burning wood or a small quantity of an antiseptic such as creosote is added during coagulation.