- (in combination) That has been transmitted in a specific manner.
- simple past tense and past participle of transmit
Variant of transmit
transitive verbtransmitted, transmitting
- to send or cause to go from one person or place to another, esp. across intervening space or distance; transfer; dispatch; convey
- to pass along; impart (a disease, etc.)
- to hand down to others by heredity, inheritance, etc.
- to communicate (news, etc.)
- to cause (light, heat, sound, etc.) to pass through air or some other medium: the sun transmits heat and light
- to allow the passage of; conduct: water transmits sound
- to convey (force, movement, etc.) from one mechanical part to another
- to send out (radio or television broadcasts, etc.) by electromagnetic waves
Origin of transmitMiddle English transmitten ; from Classical Latin transmittere ; from trans-, trans- + mittere, to send: see mission
to send out radio or television signals