Variant of transmit
- to send or cause to go from one person or place to another, esp. across intervening space or distance; transfer; dispatch; convey
- to pass along; impart (a disease, etc.)
- to hand down to others by heredity, inheritance, etc.
- to communicate (news, etc.)
- to cause (light, heat, sound, etc.) to pass through air or some other medium: the sun transmits heat and light
- to allow the passage of; conduct: water transmits sound
- to convey (force, movement, etc.) from one mechanical part to another
- to send out (radio or television broadcasts, etc.) by electromagnetic waves
Origin: Middle English transmitten from Classical Latin transmittere from trans-, trans- plush mittere, to send: see mission
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.