- The definition of hereditary refers to something inherited through the family or passed down through the family.
When you get a medical condition passed down from your mother, this is an example of a hereditary medical condition.
- of, or passed down by, inheritance from an ancestor to a legal heir; ancestral
- having title, right, etc. by inheritance
- of, or passed down by, heredity; designating or of a characteristic transmitted genetically from generation to generation
- being such because of attitudes, beliefs, etc. passed down through generations: hereditary allies
Origin: L hereditarius from hereditas: see heredity
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Law a. Descending from an ancestor to a legal heir; passing down by inheritance.b. Having title or possession through inheritance.
- Transmitted or capable of being transmitted genetically from parent to offspring: a hereditary disease.
- a. Appearing in or characteristic of successive generations.b. Derived from or fostered by one's ancestors: a hereditary prejudice.
- Ancestral; traditional: their hereditary home. See Synonyms at innate.
- Of or relating to heredity or inheritance.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin hērēditārius, from hērēditās, inheritance; see heredity.
- he·redˌi·tarˈi·ly adverb
- he·redˈi·tarˌi·ness noun
hereditary - Cultural Definition
hereditary - Medical Definition
hereditary - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.