- in the direct line of descent from an ancestor
- of or composed of lines; linear
Origin of linealOld French linéal ; from Late Latin linealis ; from Classical Latin linea: see line
- Belonging to or being in the direct line of descent from an ancestor.
- Derived from or relating to a particular line of descent; hereditary.
Origin of linealMiddle English, from Old French, from Late Latin l&imacron;ne&amacron;lis, consisting of lines, from Latin l&imacron;nea, line; see line1.
- (family) Of a family relationship that includes mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, daughters, and sons, etc. as opposed to collateral.
lineal - Legal Definition