- in the direct line of descent from an ancestor
- of or composed of lines; linear
Origin of linealOld French linéal from Late Latin linealis from Classical Latin linea: see line
- Belonging to or being in the direct line of descent from an ancestor.
- Derived from or relating to a particular line of descent; hereditary.
Origin of linealMiddle English from Old French from Late Latin līneālis consisting of lines from Latin līnea line ; see line 1.
- (family) Of a family relationship that includes mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, daughters, and sons, etc. as opposed to collateral.
lineal - Legal Definition
Regarding trusts and estates, of a direct, as opposed to a collateral, descendant.