- The definition of communication is the 2-way exchange of opinions, news and information by writing, speech or gestures including body language and facial reactions.
Mailing a letter to a friend, sending an email to a co-worker, calling a friend on the telephone, having a discussion and sending a text message are each an example of communication.
Receiving a letter is one form of communication.
communication definition by Webster's New World
- the act of transmitting
- a giving or exchanging of information, signals, or messages as by talk, gestures, or writing
- the information, signals, or message
- close, sympathetic relationship
- a means of communicating; specif.,
- a system for sending and receiving messages, as by telephone, telegraph, radio, etc.
- a system as of routes for moving troops and materiel
- a passage or way for getting from one place to another
- the art of expressing ideas, esp. in speech and writing
- the science of transmitting information, esp. in symbols
communication definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of communicating; transmission.
- a. The exchange of thoughts, messages, or information, as by speech, signals, writing, or behavior.b. Interpersonal rapport.
- communications (used with a sing. or pl. verb)a. The art and technique of using words effectively to impart information or ideas.b. The field of study concerned with the transmission of information by various means, such as print or broadcasting.c. Any of various professions involved with the transmission of information, such as advertising, broadcasting, or journalism.
- Something communicated; a message.
- communications A means of communicating, especially:a. A system, such as mail, telephone, or television, for sending and receiving messages.b. A network of routes for sending messages and transporting troops and supplies.
- communications The technology employed in transmitting messages.
- Biology The transfer of information from one molecule, cell, or organism to another, as by chemical or electrical signals or by behaviors.
- Anatomy a. An opening or connecting passage between two structures.b. A joining or connecting of solid fibrous structures, such as tendons and nerves.
- com·muˌni·caˈtion·al adjective
communication - Legal Definition
- The exchange, imparting, or transmission of ideas, information, opinions, or thoughts, transmitted electronically or by gestures, speech, or writing.
- A message so exchanged, imparted, or transmitted.
communication - Medical Definition
- The exchange of thoughts, messages, or information, as by speech, signals, writing, or behavior.
- An opening or a connecting passage between two structures.
- A joining or connecting of solid fibrous structures, such as tendons and nerves.