- The definition of audacious is bold, daring or fearless.
- Wearing a very low cut dress to a conservative event is an example of audacious.
- A shy housewife traveling to a war torn country alone is an example of an audacious act.
This is an audacious act.
- bold or daring; fearless
- not restrained by a sense of shame or propriety; rudely bold; brazen
Origin of audacious; from Classical Latin audacia, audacity ; from audax (gen. audacis), bold ; from audere, to dare, be bold
- Fearlessly, often recklessly daring; bold. See Synonyms at adventurous, brave.
- Unrestrained by convention or propriety; brazen or insolent: audacious rudeness.
- Spirited and original: an audacious interpretation of two Jacobean dramas.
Origin of audaciousFrench audacieux, from Old French audace, boldness, from Latin audācia, from audāx, audāc-, bold, from audēre, to dare, from avidus, avid; see avid.
(comparative more audacious, superlative most audacious)
From Latin audacia (“boldness”), from audax (“bold”), from audeō (“I am bold, I dare”)