- The definition of audacious is bold, daring or fearless.
- Wearing a very low cut dress to a conservative event is an example of audacious.
- A shy housewife traveling to a war torn country alone is an example of an audacious act.
- bold or daring; fearless
- not restrained by a sense of shame or propriety; rudely bold; brazen
Origin: ; from Classical Latin audacia, audacity ; from audax (gen. audacis), bold ; from audere, to dare, be bold
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Fearlessly, often recklessly daring; bold. See Synonyms at adventurous, brave.
- Unrestrained by convention or propriety; insolent.
- Spirited and original: an audacious interpretation of two Jacobean dramas.
Origin: French audacieux, from Old French audace, boldness, from Latin audācia, from audāx, audāc-, bold, from audēre, to dare, from avidus, avid; see avid.
- au·daˈcious·ly adverb
- au·daˈcious·ness noun