- The definition of audacity is the state of being bold or daring, particularly with disregard for danger or rudeness.
A person who publicly screams at his friend for a minor offense is an example of someone acting with audacity.
- bold courage; daring
- shameless or brazen boldness; insolence
- pl. audacities an audacious act or remark
Origin: Middle English audacite ; from Classical Latin audacia: see audacious
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. au·dac·i·ties
- Fearless daring; intrepidity.
- Bold or insolent heedlessness of restraints, as of those imposed by prudence, propriety, or convention.
- An act or instance of intrepidity or insolent heedlessness: warned the students than any audacities committed during the graduation ceremony would be punished.