- the condition of belonging by birth to the upper classes
- members of the upper class, collectively
- the quality of being genteel; now, specif., excessive or affected refinement and elegance
Origin of gentilityMiddle English gentilete from Old French from Classical Latin gentilitas from gentilis: see gentle
- The quality of being well-mannered; refinement.
- The condition of being born to the gentry.
- Persons of high social standing considered as a group.
- An attempt to convey or maintain the appearance of refinement and elegance.
Origin of gentilityMiddle English gentilete nobility of birth from Old French from Latin gentīlitās from gentīlis of the same clan ; see gentle .
(countable and uncountable, plural gentilities)
From Old French gentilité