- The definition of brazen is shameless, or overly bold or loud, or made of brass.
- If your mother says not to take a cookie and you proudly go right up and grab one anyway, this is an example of when you are brazen.
- If a candlestick is made of brass, this is an example of brazen.
brazen definition by Webster's New World
- of brass
- like brass in color or other qualities
- showing no shame; bold; impudent
- having the ringing sound of brass; harsh and piercing
Origin: Middle English brasen ; from Old English bræsen ; from bræs, brass
brazen definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Marked by flagrant and insolent audacity. See Synonyms at shameless.
- Having a loud, usually harsh, resonant sound: “sudden brazen clashes of the soldiers' band” (James Joyce).
- Made of brass.
- Resembling brass, as in color or strength.
Origin: Middle English brasen, made of brass, from Old English brǽsen, from brǽs, brass.
- braˈzen·ly adverb
- braˈzen·ness noun
brazen - Phrases/Idioms
brazen it out