- The definition of acting is someone who is filling in temporarily for another or who takes on a job for a short period of time.
An interim chairman is an example of an acting chairman.
- The definition of acting is the job of someone in the performing arts who takes on roles in performances like movies or plays.
Playing a part in a movie is an example of acting.
- Acting is defined as the action of pretending to be someone or something else.
A child who is on all fours and neighing like a horse is an example of acting.
A child acting in a play.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- adapted for performance on a stage: an acting version of a play
- that acts; functioning
- temporarily taking over the duties (of a specified position): the acting chairman
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Temporarily assuming the duties or authority of another. See Synonyms at temporary.
- a. That contains directions for use in a dramatic performance: the play's acting text.b. That is appropriate for dramatic performance: an acting comedy.
- The occupation of an actor or actress.
- Performance as an actor or actress.
- False behavior; pretense.