- to extend, turn, incline, bend, etc. in a specific direction; tend; run: the river trends northward
- to have a general tendency: said of events, conditions, opinions, etc.
Origin of trendMiddle English trenden, to roll from Old English trendan, to turn, roll, akin to trinde, round lump from Indo-European base an unverified form der-, to split off (from source tear): probably basic sense “split-off piece of a tree trunk, as a disk or wheel”
- the general direction of a coast, river, road, etc.
- a general or prevailing tendency or course, as of events, a discussion, etc.; drift
- a vogue, or current style, as in fashions