vitality[vī tal′ə tē]
- Vitality is having the capacity to live and grow, or physical or mental energy or strength.
An example of vitality is a person who is young, strong and excited about all aspects of life.
- vital force
- power to live or go on living
- power, as of an institution, to endure or survive
- mental or physical vigor; energy
Origin of vitalityClassical Latin vitalitas
- a. The capacity to live, grow, or develop: plants that lost their vitality when badly pruned.b. The characteristic, principle, or force that distinguishes living things from nonliving things.
- Physical or intellectual vigor; energy or liveliness. See Synonyms at vigor.
- The capacity to endure: the vitality of an old tradition.