- at the present time; at this moment
- at once
- at the time referred to; then; next: now the best days of his childhood began
- at a time very close to the present; specif.,
- very recently; not long ago: with just: he left just now
- very soon: often with just: they are leaving just now
- given the situation; with things as they are: now we'll never know what happened
Origin of nowMiddle English from Old English nu, akin to Old Norse Goth, Old High German nu from Indo-European base an unverified form nu- from source Classical Greek nu, Classical Latin nunc
- used to signify warning, reproach, etc.: now, be careful!
- used with no definite meaning, to provide emphasis or to preface or resume one's remarks: now, this is where the story really gets interesting
- used to express sympathy, concern, consolation, etc. when repeated: now, now—it's not so bad after all!
from now on
now and then