Origin of nixGerman nix, masculine , nixe, feminine from Old High German nihhus, sea beast, nicchussa, water sprite, akin to Old English nicor, Old Norse nykr, water sprite from Germanic an unverified form nik-, an unverified form nikwus-, water spirit from Indo-European base an unverified form neigw-, to wash from source Sanskrit n?n?kti, (he) washes
- The definition of a nix is a part human water spirit in German mythology.
An example of a nix is a mermaid.
- Nix is defined as to stop, refuse or disapprove of.
An example of nix is the president ending a welfare program.
- not at all
Origin of nixGerman nichts
- stop; don't do that
- I forbid, refuse, disagree, etc.
Origin of nixGerman from Middle High German nickes from Old High German nihhus
transitive verbnixed, nix·ing, nix·es
Origin of nixGerman dialectal from Middle High German nihtes genitive of niht from Old High German niwiht ni not, no ; see ne in Indo-European roots. wiht thing ; see wekti- in Indo-European roots.
Origin of NixAlteration (in order to avoid confusion with the asteroid 3908 Nyx) of Nyx Greek goddess of the night from Greek Nux from nux night ; see nekw-t- in Indo-European roots.
- (colloquial): nothing.
(third-person singular simple present nixes, present participle nixing, simple past and past participle nixed)
- A treacherous water-spirit; a nixie.
*nix - Computer Definition
- Executive producer Mike Lazzo, believing that the episode featured too little of the Space Ghost, elected to nix the script for production.
- In fact, nix the T-shirts altogether; they may be casual, but they certainly aren't business.
- Once you've established a budget, and you've looked at the expenses, you may be able to nix a few of the ideas right from the start.
- At the very least, you want to inspect its finest details to ensure that it falls to the right spot on your body (it should not be too short, for example) and that the material is comfortable (if it's itchy, nix it).
- If you have treated head louse with products such as Nix Shampoo or other chemical or toxin-free products and have still found little relief, it may be time to treat the lice by hand.