- The definition of a sprite is an imaginary being or spirit.
An example of a sprite is a fairy.
- Folklore an imaginary being or spirit, as a fairy, elf, or goblin
- an elflike person
- Archaic a ghost
Origin of spriteMiddle English sprit ; from Old French esprit ; from Classical Latin spiritus, spirit
- A small or elusive supernatural being; an elf or pixie.
- An elflike person.
- Meteorology A large, dim, red flash that appears above active thunderstorms in conjunction with lightning.
- Archaic A spirit, specter, or ghost.
Origin of spriteMiddle English spreit, from Old French esprit, from Latin spīritus; see Spirit .
- (mythology) A spirit; a soul; a shade; also, an apparition.
- (mythology) An elf; a fairy; a goblin.
- The green woodpecker, or yaffle.
- (computer graphics) A two-dimensional image or animation that is integrated into a larger scene.
- An electrical discharge that occurs high above the cumulonimbus cloud of an active thunderstorm.
From Old French esprit (â€œspiritâ€).
sprite - Computer Definition
An independent graphic object controlled by its own bit plane (area of memory). Commonly used in video games, sprites move freely across the screen, passing by, through and colliding with each other. Programming sprites is easier than programming an object to move around on the same plane as other objects.