- A spirit that haunts an old haunted house is an example of a specter.
- A constant fear of terrorism that hangs over everyone's heads is an example of a specter.
Specter refers a ghost, or something that is widely feared or is a source of terror or dread.
- a ghost; apparition
- any object of fear or dread
Origin of specterFrench spectre from Classical Latin spectrum, an appearance, apparition from spectare, to behold: see spectacle
- A ghostly apparition; a phantom.
- A haunting or disturbing image or prospect: the terrible specter of nuclear war.
Origin of specterFrench spectre from Latin spectrum appearance, apparition ; see spectrum .
- A ghostly apparition.
- A specter haunted the cemetery at the old Vasquez manor.