The definition of inordinate is an over abundance or exceeding reasonable limits.
- disordered; not regulated
- lacking restraint or moderation; too great or too many; immoderate
Origin of inordinateMiddle English inordinat ; from Classical Latin inordinatus ; from in-, in- + ordinatus, past participle of ordinare, to arrange: see ordain
- Exceeding reasonable limits; immoderate. See Synonyms at excessive.
- Archaic Not regulated; disorderly.
Origin of inordinateMiddle English inordinat, from Latin in&omacron;rdinatus, disordered : in-, not; see in–1 + &omacron;rdinatus, past participle of &omacron;rdinare, to set in order (from &omacron;rd&omacron;, &omacron;rdin-, order; see ar- in Indo-European roots).
- in·or′di·na·cy, in·or′di·nate·ness
(comparative more inordinate, superlative most inordinate)