- plural form of genius
Variant of genius
- according to ancient Roman belief, a guardian spirit assigned to a person at birth; tutelary deity
- the guardian spirit of any person, place, etc.
- either of two spirits, one good and one evil, supposed to influence one's destiny
- a person considered as having strong influence over another
- the personification of a quality
- particular character or essential spirit or nature of a nation, place, age, etc.
- a great natural ability (for a particular activity); strong disposition or inclination
- great mental capacity and inventive ability; esp., great and original creative ability in some art, science, etc.
- a person having such capacity or ability
- popularly any person with a very high IQ
Origin of geniusClassical Latin guardian spirit, natural ability, genius ; from base of genere, gignere, to produce: see genus