- The definition of formidable is something that causes fear and is difficult to overcome.
An example of formidable is a boxer having a match with the current title holder.
- causing fear or dread
- hard to handle or overcome
- awe-inspiring in size, excellence, etc.; strikingly impressive
Origin of formidableMiddle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin formidabilis ; from formidare, to fear, dread ; from formido, fear ; from Indo-European an unverified form mormo-, to feel horror from source Classical Greek mormoros, fear
- Arousing fear, dread, or alarm: the formidable prospect of major surgery.
- Inspiring awe, admiration, or wonder: “A woman of formidable intelligence and tenacity, [she] prides herself on being independent-minded” (Nan Levinson).
- Difficult to undertake, surmount, or defeat: a formidable challenge; a formidable opponent.
Origin of formidableMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin formīdābilis, from formīdāre, to fear, from formīdō, fear.
- for′mi·da·bil′i·ty, for′mi·da·ble·ness
(comparative more formidable, superlative most formidable)