- The definition of redoubtable is someone or something that brings fear or commands respect.
An example of redoubtable is the redoubtable height of Mount Everest, the world's highest mountain.
redoubtable definition by Webster's New World
- formidable; fearsome: a redoubtable foe
- commanding respect: a redoubtable logician
Origin: Middle English redowtable ; from Middle French redoutable ; from redouter, to fear, dread ; from Classical Latin re-, intensive plush dubitare, to doubt
- redoubtably adverb
redoubtable definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Arousing fear or awe; formidable.
- Worthy of respect or honor.
Origin: Middle English redoubtabel, from Old French redoutable, from redouter, to dread : re-, re- + douter, to doubt, fear; see doubt.
- re·doubtˈa·bly adverb