- The definition of redoubtable is someone or something that brings fear or commands respect.
An example of redoubtable is the redoubtable height of Mount Everest, the world's highest mountain.
- formidable; fearsome: a redoubtable foe
- commanding respect: a redoubtable logician
Origin of redoubtableMiddle English redowtable ; from Middle French redoutable ; from redouter, to fear, dread ; from Classical Latin re-, intensive + dubitare, to doubt
- Arousing fear or awe; formidable.
- Worthy of respect or honor.
Origin of redoubtableMiddle English redoubtabel, from Old French redoutable, from redouter, to dread : re-, re- + douter, to doubt, fear; see doubt.
(comparative more redoubtable, superlative most redoubtable)
French redoutable (spelled redoubtable in early modern French).