- An established principle, law, custom, or usage.
- A summary or digest of established principles, esp. in law.
- An organization for the promotion of art, science, education, etc.
- A school specializing in art, music, etc.
- A college or university specializing in technical subjects.
- An institution for advanced study, research, and instruction in a restricted field.
- A short teaching program established for a group concerned with some special field of work.
To institute a search.
A cancer research institute.
An example of an institute is an art college.
An example of to institute is beginning a new nutrition meal plan at an elementary school.
Institute wage and price controls.
Institute a search for the missing hikers.
If children were early instituted, knowledge would insensibly insinuate itself.