- an instituting or being instituted; establishment
- an established law, custom, practice, system, etc.
- an organization, society, or corporation having a public purpose, as a school, church, bank, hospital, etc.
- the building housing such an organization; often, specif., such a place where persons are kept or confined, as a mental hospital, nursing home, prison, etc.
- a person or thing long established in a place
Origin of institutionMiddle English institucion from Old French from Classical Latin institutio