An example of plant is an undercover FBI agent acting as a drug dealer.
Works in an auto plant.
The university's mechanical plant.
Plant a colony.
Planted the stolen goods in the warehouse.
Plant a field in corn.
Planted both feet on the ground; planted a kiss on my cheek.
Detectives were planted all over the store.
Planted a gun on the corpse to make the death look like suicide.
To plant a garden, an orchard, or a forest.
To plant a colony.
To plant Christianity among the heathen.
An example of plant is where running shoes are produced.
An example of plant is putting a zucchini seedling in soil.
An example of a plant is a flower or vegetable.
- A person placed in a group of spectators to influence behavior.
- A person stationed in a given location as a spy or observer.
- A misleading piece of evidence placed so as to be discovered.
- A remark or action in a play or narrative that becomes important later.
That gun's not mine! It's a plant! I've never seen it before!
That gun's not mine! It was planted there by the real murderer!
Plant your feet firmly and give the rope a good tug.
To plant cannon against a fort; to plant a flag; to plant one's feet on solid ground.
The power plant of a ship.
Other Word Forms
Origin of plant
- Middle English plante from Old English Old French both from Latin planta sprout, seedling plat- in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition