- any of a kingdom (Animalia) of eukaryotes generally characterized by a multicellular body, the ability to move quickly and obtain food, specialized sense organs, and sexual reproduction
- any such organism other than a human being, esp. a mammal or, often, any four-footed creature
- a brutish, debased, or inhuman person
- Informal a person, thing, concept, etc. thought of as a kind or type: today's athlete is another animal altogether
Origin of animalL, living being from anima, animus, breath, air, life principle, soul from Indo-European base an unverified form an(e)-, to breathe, exhale from source Classical Greek anemos, Sanskrit anilas, wind, breath, Old English antha, excitement, anger
- of, like, or derived from animals
- physical rather than mental or spiritual; specif., sensual, gross, bestial, etc.