A person who is unkind and cruel is an example of a brute.
The brute force of nature.
- Entirely physical.Brute force.
- Lacking or showing a lack of reason or intelligence.A brute impulse.
- Savage; cruel.Brute coercion.
- Unremittingly severe.Was driven to steal food through brute necessity.
A brute beast.
The brute earth; the brute powers of nature.
An example of brute used as an adjective is brute strength, which is extreme, physical strength.
Other Word Forms
Origin of brute
- From Middle English nonhuman from Old French brut from Latin brūtus stupid gwerə-1 in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition