- full of thorns; brambly; prickly
- having thorns or spines: said of some animals
- like a thorn; sharp
- full of obstacles, vexations, pain, etc.: the thorny road to peace
- full of controversial points; difficult; contentious: a thorny problem
- Having many thorns or abounding in thorn-covered vegetation: thorny shrubs; a thorny landscape.
- Spiny or prickly.
- Controversial, problematic, or vexatious: avoided discussing thorny issues during the meeting.
(comparative thornier, superlative thorniest)
- rhyton, rython