Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- having no backbone; invertebrate
- having a weak or flexible backbone
- lacking courage, resistance, willpower, etc.
- without spines, or thorny processes
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Lacking courage or willpower.
- Biology a. Having no spiny processes.b. Lacking a spinal column; invertebrate.
- spineˈless·ly adverb
- spineˈless·ness noun