- The definition of specialist is having expert knowledge in a field, or someone or something that concentrates on a limited area.
A bookstore that only sells magic and paranormal books is an example of a specialist book store.
- Specialist is defined as an expert in some field or a person who concentrates his or her energies on a specific field.
A doctor who focuses on care of the heart is an example of a heart specialist.
- a person who specializes in a particular field of study, professional work, etc.
- U.S. Army any of six grades for enlisted personnel with technical training and duties, corresponding to the grades of corporal through sergeant major
- One who is devoted to a particular occupation or branch of study or research: “Specialists … tend to think in grooves” ( Elaine Morgan )
- A physician whose practice is limited to a particular branch of medicine or surgery, especially one who is certified by a board of physicians: a specialist in oncology.
- Any of several noncommissioned ranks in the US Army that correspond to that of corporal through sergeant first class.
- A species with narrow habitat or food requirements: specialists that feed only on carrion.
- spe′cial·ist spe′cial·is′tic
(comparative more specialist, superlative most specialist)
- (UK) Specialised.
specialize +"Ž -ist
specialist - Investment & Finance Definition
A member of a stock exchange whose purpose is to maintain an orderly market in the securities that are assigned to him. To accomplish this task, the specialist may need to buy or sell for his own account when either buyers or sellers are scarce. The specialist also will act as the broker for other brokers. If a broker has an order to buy 100 shares of a stock at $52, but it is trading at $50, then the order is left with the specialist, who will execute it, if it trades up to $52.