- The definition of a consultant is an expert who is paid to offer his professional or technical advice.
An expert in efficiency and management who is hired by companies to assess how well they operate is an example of a consultant.
- a person who consults with another or others
- an expert who is called on for professional or technical advice or opinions
Origin: ; from Classical Latin consultans, present participle of consultare
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- One who gives expert or professional advice.
- One who consults another.
- con·sulˈtant·shipˌ noun
consultant - Business Definition
consultant - Computer Definition
An individual who acts as an advisor to users or to the technical staff. Consultants are available from third-party organizations for all aspects of the computer industry, including electronic circuit design, information systems analysis and software development. In a business environment, consultants may be used to create the functional specifications from which vendors can respond. The title of consultant is also given to internal specialists. See job descriptions.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
consultant - Medical Definition
- A physician or surgeon who does not take actual charge of a patient, but acts in an advisory capacity to the patient's primary physician.
- Such a member of a hospital staff who may advise the attending physician or surgeon.