- The definition of a consultant is an expert who is paid to offer his professional or technical advice.
An expert in efficiency and management who is hired by companies to assess how well they operate is an example of a consultant.
- a person who consults with another or others
- an expert who is called on for professional or technical advice or opinions
Origin of consultant; from Classical Latin consultans, present participle of consultare
- One who gives expert or professional advice.
- One who consults another.
- a person or party that is consulted.
- a person whose occupation is to be consulted for their expertise, advice, or help in an area or specialty. Alternatively, a party whose business is to be similarly consulted.
consultant - Computer Definition
An individual who acts as an advisor to users or to the technical staff. Consultants are available from third-party organizations for all aspects of the computer industry, including electronic circuit design, information systems analysis and software development. In a business environment, consultants may be used to create the functional specifications from which vendors can respond. The title of consultant is also given to internal specialists. See job descriptions.