- A small town in France that is under the control of aprefect who makes the rules for the town is an example of a prefecture.
- When a prefect serves a five-year term, this is an example of a prefecture.
- When a prefect has a little white house on the main street of the town that he oversees, this little white house is an example of a prefecture.
The definition of a prefecture is a district or town under the control of a special official called a prefect, or the term of office or residence of a prefect.
- the office, authority, territory, or residence of a prefect
- any of the regional districts of Japan administered by a governor
Origin of prefectureClassical Latin praefectura
- a. The district administered or governed by a prefect.b. An administrative district of some countries, especially China or Japan.
- The office or authority of a prefect.
- The residence or housing of a prefect.