- The definition of a prefecture is a district or town under the control of a special official called a prefect, or the term of office or residence of a prefect.
- A small town in France that is under the control of aprefect who makes the rules for the town is an example of a prefecture.
- When a prefect serves a five-year term, this is an example of a prefecture.
- When a prefect has a little white house on the main street of the town that he oversees, this little white house is an example of a prefecture.
prefecture definition by Webster's New World
- the office, authority, territory, or residence of a prefect
- any of the regional districts of Japan administered by a governor
Origin: Classical Latin praefectura
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- prefectural adjective
prefecture definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The district administered or governed by a prefect.
- The office or authority of a prefect.
- The residence or housing of a prefect.
- pre·fecˈtur·al adjective