The French embassage, embassy, in Copenhagen.
embassy definition by Webster's New World
- the position, functions, or business of an ambassador
- the official residence or offices of an ambassador in a foreign country
- an ambassador and his or her staff
- a person or group sent on an official mission to a foreign government
- any important or official mission, errand, or message
Origin: earlier ambassy ; from Middle French ambassée ; from OIt ambasciata ; from ProvenÃ§al ambaissada ; from an unverified form ambaissa: see ambassador
embassy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. em·bas·sies
- A building containing the offices of an ambassador and staff.
- The position, function, or assignment of an ambassador.
- A mission to a foreign government headed by an ambassador.
- A staff of diplomatic representatives headed by an ambassador.
Origin: Variant of ambassy, office or function of an ambassador, from obsolete French ambassée, from Medieval Latin ambactiāta; see embassage.