- When a group of steel workers are assigned to represent all steel workers in union talks, this group is an example of a delegation.
- When a boss assigns tasks to his employees, this is an example of delegation.
The definition of a delegation is a group of people who have been tasked with a specific job or given a specific purpose, or the act of assigning a specific task or purpose to a person or group of people.
- a delegating or being delegated
- a body of delegates
Origin of delegationClassical Latin delegatio
- a. The act of delegating.b. The condition of being delegated.
- A person or group of persons officially elected or appointed to represent another or others.
- An act of delegating.
- A group of delegates used to discuss issues with an opponent.
- (computing): A method dispatching technique describing the lookup and inheritance rules for self-referential calls.
- (law): A contract whereby the original debtor substitutes a new debtor in his stead, with the creditor’s permission.
Latin delegatio: confer French délégation.
delegation - Legal Definition
The act of granting another the power to act on one’s behalf in an official capacity; a group of delegates.