- the position, powers, and functions of a consul
- the office or residence of a consul
- the term of office of a consul; consulship
- a government by consuls
Origin of consulateMiddle English consulat from Classical Latin consulatus
Origin of consulateFr Consulat
the consular government of France from 1799 to 1804
- The residence or official premises of a consul.
- The office, term of office, or jurisdiction of a consul.
- Government by consuls.
Origin of consulateMiddle English consulat consulship from Latin cōnsulātus from cōnsul consul ; see consul .
- The residency of a consul
- In practice, an office of a government in a foreign city that oversees the distribution of visas and provides assistance to nationals.
- cleans out