consulate definition by Webster's New World
- the position, powers, and functions of a consul
- the office or residence of a consul
- the term of office of a consul; consulship
- a government by consuls
Origin: Middle English consulat ; from Classical Latin consulatus
consulate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The residence or official premises of a consul.
- The office, term of office, or jurisdiction of a consul.
- Government by consuls.
Origin: Middle English consulat, consulship, from Latin cōnsulātus, from cōnsul, consul; see consul.
consulate - Phrases/Idioms
Etymology: Fr Consulat