- Specialize is to become an expert on a specific matter or to devote your time and efforts to a specific field.
An example of specialize is a doctor who studies the heart to provide care for cardiac patients.
transitive verbspecialized, specializing
- to make special, specific, or particular; specify
- to direct toward or concentrate on a specific end
- Biol. to adapt (parts or organs) to a special condition, use, or requirement
Origin of specializeFrench spécialiser
- to make a special study of something or work only in one part or branch of a subject, profession, etc.: to specialize in medieval history
- Biol. to become adapted to meet a special condition, use, etc.
verbspe·cial·ized, spe·cial·iz·ing, spe·cial·iz·es
- a. To pursue a special activity, occupation, or field of study: a doctor who specializes in cardiology.b. To provide something in particular or have something as a focus: The shop specializes in mountain-climbing gear.
- Biology To become adapted to a specific function or environment; undergo specialization.
- To give a particular character or function to: specialized her field of research.
- Biology To adapt to a particular function or environment; cause to undergo specialization.
- Archaic To make specific mention of; specify.
(third-person singular simple present specializes, present participle specializing, simple past and past participle specialized)