Specialize is to become an expert on a specific matter or to devote your time and efforts to a specific field.verb
An example of specialize is a doctor who studies the heart to provide care for cardiac patients.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- to make special, specific, or particular; specify
- to direct toward or concentrate on a specific end
- Biol. to adapt (parts or organs) to a special condition, use, or requirement
Origin: Fr spécialiser
- to make a special study of something or work only in one part or branch of a subject, profession, etc.: to specialize in medieval history
- Biol. to become adapted to meet a special condition, use, etc.
- specialization noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb spe·cial·ized, spe·cial·iz·ing, spe·cial·iz·es verb, intransitive
- To pursue a special activity, occupation, or field of study.
- Biology To develop so as to become adapted to a specific function or environment; undergo specialization.
- To concentrate on a particular activity or product: The shop specializes in mountain-climbing gear.
- To make specific mention of; particularize.
- To give a particular character or function to: specialized her field of research.
- Biology To adapt to a particular function or environment; cause to undergo specialization.
- To specify the payee in endorsing (a check).
specialize - Medical Definition
- To limit one's profession to a particular specialty or subject area for study, research, or treatment.
- To adapt to a particular function or environment.