- The definition of a specialization is an area of focus chosen by a company or individual.
When a lawyer primarily handles bankruptcy cases, this is an example of a situation where the attorney has a specialization in bankruptcy.
- The act of specializing or the process of becoming specialized.
- Biology a. Adaptation, as of an organ or a species, to a specific function or environment.b. A character or feature resulting from such adaptation.
- The process of specializing.
specialize +â€Ž -ation
Variant of specialize
transitive verbspecialized, specializing
- to make special, specific, or particular; specify
- to direct toward or concentrate on a specific end
- Biol. to adapt (parts or organs) to a special condition, use, or requirement
Origin of specializeFrench spécialiser
- to make a special study of something or work only in one part or branch of a subject, profession, etc.: to specialize in medieval history
- Biol. to become adapted to meet a special condition, use, etc.