- The definition of a slogan is a distinctive or identifying phrase often used in advertising or to represent a product.
An example of a slogan is an advertising phrase associated with a particular company or product, such as the Pepsi Generation.
slogan definition by Webster's New World
- Historical a cry used by Scottish Highland and Irish clans in battle or as an assembly signal
- a catchword or rallying motto distinctly associated with a political party or other group
- a catch phrase used to advertise a product
Origin: Gaelic sluggh-ghairm ; from sluagh, a host plush gairm, a call
slogan definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A phrase expressing the aims or nature of an enterprise, organization, or candidate; a motto.
- A phrase used repeatedly, as in advertising or promotion: “all the slogans and shibboleths coined out of the ideals of the peoples for the uses of imperialism” (Margaret Sanger).
- A battle cry of a Scottish clan.
Origin: Alteration of Scots slogorne, battle cry, from Gaelic sluagh-ghairm : sluagh, host; see slew 1 + gairm, shout.