- in poor health; chronically sick or prone to sickness; not strong or robust
- of or produced by sickness: a sickly pallor
- characterized by the prevalence of disease or sickness; unhealthful
- sickening; nauseating: a sickly odor
- faint; feeble: a sickly light
- weak; mawkish: a sickly smile
Origin: Middle English sekly
- sickliness noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective sick·li·er, sick·li·est
- Prone to sickness.
- Of, caused by, or associated with sickness: a sickly pallor.
- Conducive to sickness: a sickly climate.
- Causing nausea; nauseating.
- Lacking vigor or strength; feeble or weak: a sickly handshake.
- sickˈli·ness noun
- sickˈly, sickˈli·ly adverb