The definition of gaunt is looking thin, bony or sickly.adjective
An example of gaunt is the appearance of someone who hasn’t eaten enough for many weeks.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- thin and bony; hollow-eyed and haggard, as from great hunger or age; emaciated
- looking grim, forbidding, or desolate
Origin: ME gawnte, earlier gant, slender, thin, gaunt < ?
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective gaunt·er, gaunt·est
- Thin and bony; angular. See Synonyms at lean2.
- Emaciated and haggard; drawn.
- Bleak and desolate; barren.
Origin: Middle English, perhaps from Old French gant, possibly of Scandinavian origin.
- gauntˈly adverb
- gauntˈness noun