A poor little waif.
The definition of a waif is a homeless, abandoned animal or person.
A homeless puppy wandering the streets alone is an example of a waif.
- anything found by chance that is without an owner
- a person without home or friends; esp., a homeless child
- a stray animal
- a piece of property found but claimed by nobody
- Obs. stolen goods discarded by a thief in flight
Origin of waifMiddle English ; from NormFr, probably ; from Old Norse veif, anything flapping about ; from veifa, to wave, swing ; from Indo-European an unverified form weip-, to turn, variant, variety of an unverified form weib- from source Classical Latin vibrare, to vibrate
- a. A homeless person, especially a forsaken or orphaned child.b. An abandoned young animal.
- A person, especially a young woman, who is thin or gaunt.
- Something found and unclaimed, as an object cast up by the sea.
Origin of waifMiddle English, ownerless property, stray animal, from Anglo-Norman, probably of Scandinavian origin; see weip- in Indo-European roots.
Origin of waifProbably of Scandinavian origin; see weip- in Indo-European roots.