- The definition of a wah-wah is an instrumental sound that is similar to a baby's cry.
An example of a wah-wah is a sound made by opening and closing a trumpet's bell with a plunger mute.
This trumpet could make a wah-wah sound.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- Jazz an instrumental effect somewhat like that of the sound of a baby crying, produced by closing and opening the bell of a trumpet, trombone, etc. with a plunger mute held in the hand
- a similar effect created by an electronic device controlled by a foot pedal, that can be used with any musical instrument
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A wavering sound produced by alternately covering and uncovering the bell of a trumpet or trombone with a mute.
- A similar sound produced by means of an electronic attachment, as on an electric guitar, operated by a foot pedal.
- wahˈ-wahˌ adjective