Delicious refreshments of tea and cakes.
An example of refreshment is having a cup of tea during a break at a conference.
- a refreshing or being refreshed
- something that refreshes, as food, drink, or rest
- [pl.] food or drink or both, esp. as a light meal
Origin of refreshmentMiddle English refreshement from Middle French refreschement
- The act of refreshing or the state of being refreshed.
- Something, such as food or drink, that refreshes.
- often refreshments A snack, light meal, or drink.
Recorded since 1665; either directly or via refreschement, from Old French refrescher (12th century; modern rafraÃ®chir), itself from re- "again" + fresche "fresh" (Modern French frais; from a Germanic source, cognate with Old High German frisc, modern German frisch, Dutch fris etc.)