- Patience is the quality of waiting calmly without complaining.
An example of patience is someone standing peacefully in a very long line.
Children displaying a great deal of patience as they wait for a balloon.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- the state, quality, or fact of being patient; specif.,
- the will or ability to wait or endure without complaint
- steadiness, endurance, or perseverance in the performance of a task
- Brit. solitaire (sense )
Origin: Middle English pacience from Old French from Classical Latin patientia from pati, to suffer: see passion
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The capacity, quality, or fact of being patient.
- Chiefly British The game solitaire.