- An example of forbearance is keeping quiet when an elderly person refuses to participate in an activity.
- An example of forbearance is when you do not have to pay your student loans until you graduate.
Forbearance is defined as patience or is a legal agreement to stop payments on a debt for a period of time.
- the act of forbearing
- the quality of being forbearing; self-control; patient restraint
- Law the act by which a creditor extends time for payment of a debt or forgoes for a time the right to enforce legal action on the debt
- Tolerance and restraint in the face of provocation; patience.
- Law The act of giving a debtor more time to pay rather than immediately enforcing a debt that is due.
From forbear + -ance.
forbearance - Legal Definition
n. the act of delaying enforcement of a legal right, as with a creditor who grants the debtor extension of time to pay.