- Resignation is the act of leaving something, generally a job or position.
An example of a resignation is a letter stating that a politician will be stepping down from his spot.
resignation definition by Webster's New World
- the act of resigning
- formal notice of this, esp. in writing
- patient submission; passive acceptance; acquiescence
Origin: Middle English ; from Middle French resignation ; from Midieval Latin resignatio
resignation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or an instance of resigning.
- An oral or written statement that one is resigning a position or an office.
- Unresisting acceptance of something as inescapable; submission. See Synonyms at patience.