Resignation is the act of leaving something, generally a job or position.
An example of a resignation is a letter stating that a politician will be stepping down from his spot.
- the act of resigning
- formal notice of this, esp. in writing
- patient submission; passive acceptance; acquiescence
Origin of resignationMiddle English ; from Middle French resignation ; from Medieval Latin resignatio
- The act or an instance of resigning: We expect her resignation any day now.
- An oral or written statement that one is resigning a position or office: submitted his resignation.
- Unresisting acceptance of something as inescapable; submission: shrugged with resignation.
- eating irons